[Koha] Moving to a newer server and OS

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat Apr 5 10:45:10 NZDT 2008

Hey Tim,

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Tim McMahon - West Liberty Public
Library <tmcmahon at wlpl.org> wrote:
> We'd like to upgrade to Koha 3.0, but put it on a new server.  Our
>  current OS is Debian Sarge.  The new server will need to run Etch
>  because Sarge won't install on the new hardware.  This also means we'll
>  be switching from MySQL version 4 to 5.  Is it possible to do a
>  mysqldump on the old server and load the data on the new server, then
>  install Koha 3 and do the updates?  Is there anything I need to do to
>  the database for the MySQL upgrade before I start the Koha updates?
Before doing the update, I'd recommend getting Koha 3 up and running on
your Etch box, playing around with it, there's a nice amount of sample data,
and you can easily enough import some sample bib data, to get your feet wet.

Koha 3 requires mysql version 5 or greater. You can do a restore from a
mysqldump from an earlier version of mysql to mysql 5. There are some
instructions for upgrading from Koha 2 up on the wiki:

http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=22_to_30

Note the QANotes here:
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:qanotes3.0,
which explain some of the changes and new conventions (including
things like frameworks
and statuses). The Zebra-related notes are of particular importance as
well, though most of
the heavy lifting for that stuff is handled by the installer.

As always, be sure to test everything carefully on a test instance before
running it on your production database.

Let us know how you like 3.0, and if you have any questions.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support