[Koha] Perl Module Lament

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Sep 29 18:19:20 NZST 2007

Bo Schafers wrote:

> I've installed Koha elsewhere several times, so I thought I had more or
> less worked this thing out.

The Koha community is anticipating the day that the Koha installation
package has all the Perl packages bundled in with the Koha source code.
We live in hope!

> Checking perl modules ...
> Variable "$record" is not imported
> at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/MARC/File/XML.pm line 356, <STDIN> line

When the above happens while installer.pl is running, my guess
is the the installer sees an error and blandly (blindly!) assumes
then that the module (MARC:File::XML) is not installed.

I see this sort of behaviour from time to time. Since there is no
definitive set of Perl modules for Koha, as versions of things change
on CPAN, things start breaking in unexpected places.

A "definitive set" of modules is a specified set of modules with
specific version numbers, all known to work together as one
compatible whole. This is not a trivial task, as things can
and do change rapidly on CPAN. AFAIK, their is no complete
"integration testing" done on CPAN with various sets of modules.

> Also the Net::LDAP installtion fails: Searching krb5-config command...
> not found! at Makefile.PL line 94.
>
> HAAAAILP....please...I'm stuck.

Next step is to see why your version of this module is broken.
Try this:

perl -MMARC::File::XML -e 'print "hello\n"'

and let us see the output.

I think the solution might lie in which version of the module you are using.
You can find that out as follows:

grep VERSION `perldoc -l MARC::File::XML`

On my working install I see it is version 0.85.

use vars qw( $VERSION %_load_args );
$VERSION = '0.85';

You can always visit the CPAN web site and forcibly install that version.

Good luck!

cheers
rickw