[Koha] beginners question

rossblog rossmcgovern at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 10:19:32 NZST 2007

Hi

Please forgive me if this question is often repeated; I have not found
anything that answers the specific questions I have. I am trying to get a
small charity's library catalogued and online as simply as possible. I have
a (relatively) relaxed time in which to do this, so I can probably learn
some stuff as I go along. What concerns me is to make sure I can get hold of
what I need either cheaply or for free, and learn only what I must.

In your opinion what is the simplest way for a novice to go about setting up
everything that Koha can do for this library? The FAQ tells me I need
Apache, Perl and some extra modules, but others have pointed me to MySQL.
I'm a bit lost. I would like to learn these tools but I don't want to waste
time. My really big question is:

If I'm starting off with only a bare PC running either Windows or Linux, can
you tell me which are the cheapest, easiest programs to download and
install? I will just go with any advice here. And secondly, would I greatly
hinder things by running the Win32 version?

Again sorry for the simplicity of the question, no doubt I'll have far more
complex issues soon enough! V grateful for any help.

best

Ross