[Koha] koha 2.2.9: not available from inernet on its port

H. S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 09:59:56 NZST 2007

Hello,

I installed Koha 2.2.9 on a machine running Ubuntu (I am going to show it to
a small community library to convince them to use this application). All
seems to have gone well, however the virtual web server part is giving some
problems.

The machine in questions is already running a web server on port 80. So I
configured Koha to listen on ports 8000 and 8001. Here is the conf file I am
currently using:
# Koha 2.2 Apache Virtual Host Config File
#
# Please include this file in your apache configuration.
# The best way to do that depends on your site setup.
# Some like an Include adding to /etc/apache/httpd.conf
# and some prefer a symlink to this file from some dir.
# Please refer to your system manuals.

# Ports to listen to for Koha
# uncomment these if they aren't already in main httpd.conf
Listen 8000
Listen 8001

# NameVirtualHost is used by one of the optional configurations detailed
below
# Please make sure this line is correct before uncommenting.
# See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/ for some guides.

#NameVirtualHost 11.22.33.44

# KOHA's OPAC Configuration
<VirtualHost audioserver:8000>
   ServerAdmin sahambi at yahoo.com
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/opac/htdocs
   ServerName audioserver
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ /usr/local/koha/opac/cgi-bin/
   Redirect permanent index.html
http://audioserver:8000/cgi-bin/koha/opac-main.pl
   ErrorLog /usr/local/koha/log/opac-error_log
   TransferLog /usr/local/koha/log/opac-access_log
   SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules"
   SetEnv KOHA_CONF "/etc/koha.conf"

</VirtualHost>
# KOHA's INTRANET Configuration
<VirtualHost audioserver:8001>
   ServerAdmin sahambi at yahoo.com
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/intranet/htdocs
   ServerName audioserver
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/koha/ "/usr/local/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/"
   Redirect permanent index.html
http://audioserver:8001/cgi-bin/koha/mainpage.pl
   ErrorLog /usr/local/koha/log/koha-error_log
   TransferLog /usr/local/koha/log/koha-access_log
   SetEnv PERL5LIB "/usr/local/koha/intranet/modules"
   SetEnv KOHA_CONF "/etc/koha.conf"

</VirtualHost>

# If you want to use name based Virtual Hosting:
#   1. remove the two Listen lines
#   2. replace audioserver:8000 wih your.opac.domain.name
#   3. replace ServerName audioserver wih ServerName your.opac.domain.name
#   4. replace audioserver:8001 wih your intranet domain name
#   5. replace ServerName audioserver wih ServerName
your.intranet.domain.name
#
# If you want to use NameVirtualHost'ing (using two names on one ip
address):
#   1.  Follow steps 1-5 above
#   2.  Uncomment the NameVirtualHost line and set the correct ip address

The above conf files was included in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf with an
include statement:
#included for Koha configuration, by HS, 20070910
Include /etc/koha-httpd.conf

The name of the machine is "audioserver". Assume the domain name of the
machine (it has a dynamic IP address) is mydomain.com. With the above
configuration, I can access Koha only on the LAN on port 8000, but not from
the internet. If I replace "audioserver" with "mydomain.com", it doesn't
work from anywhere, neither from LAN nor from WAN, and I get the website web
page on ports 80, 8000 and 8001.

I am running apache2    ver. 2.2.3-3.2ubuntu0. What I missing in the above
configuration and how I make Koha available from the external internet on
port 8000?

thanks,
->HS