[Koha] Re: [koha-Infos] KohaLa GA and candidates for the CA

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Oct 2 18:40:00 NZST 2007

MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> On Thursday 4 October, from 13:30, come in numbers to the first
> General Assembly of the KohaLa Association. [...]

I've posted naive translations of the rules and proposed internal
regulations of KohaLa to
  http://serene.ttllp.co.uk/~mjr/StatutsKohala.pdf
  http://serene.ttllp.co.uk/~mjr/RIkohala.pdf

Unhappily, it looks to me that, if those proposals pass:

- Membership will not be open to all, requiring learning KohaLa's
rules and demonstrating an interest to the satisfaction of the
officers;

- Members will not have equal voting rights (physical persons get one
vote, corporations get two votes, council of administration members
share all unnominated votes between them);

- Members will not contribute equitably to assets (some pay nothing,
some pay double rate and all contributions are kept, even if KohaLa
expels the member before end of their subscription);

- Therefore, assets will not be democratically and equitably controlled;

Additionally:

- KohaLa need not offer any training to its elected representatives,
which means anyone elected without knowing relevant French law will
be in trouble.  This has a chilling effect on nominations - all of
the current candidates seem to be French, which is not representative
of Koha users or developers IMO, but who wants to put their head on
a guillotine unsupported?;

- KohaLa is not directed to work with other projects or groups;

- KohaLa does not concern itself with the wider community.

Is it possible to remedy this?  If so, how?

If not, should koha users and developers rebuke KohaLa?

Unhappily,