[Koha] 3 Bugs Making Librarian's Job a Challenge

Bo Schafers bo at weavebrain.com.au
Wed May 30 04:37:30 NZST 2007

Hi HD!

First of all thank you *again* for solving some of my problems. I do
apologise for being a bit pushy by flooding the list with  postings,
some of which probably belong in  Bugzilla. I was a bit hesitant putting
anything in there, it looked to me like a bunch of devs communicating,
did not want to intrude putting my dilletante comments in there...

Bo Schafers a écrit :
>> 1. In Cataloging, librarians are:
>> A) Unable to edit a biblio's 'item values' and update/save them - the
>> stored values are not even loaded into the from fields from the DB
>> B) Unable to delete a biblio's 'items'.  Clicking delete, nothing
>> happens.
>>
> Did you link itemnumber to tag_item$9 subfield ?

OK. I took me a looong time (about 3 hours) to figure out what  you were
trying to tell me there.  So I started poking a round in the subfield
interface again and remembered that when doing the MARC check on sunday
I kept getting the following cryptic error message:
itemnum : the field itemnumber must be mapped to a field in tab -1 (ignore)

Huh? Itemnum? I couldn't find a field called 'itemnumber', so I guessed
it must be that. Then, whenever I put the field in tab -1 -I got an
error message  saying item fields must all be in  Tab 10.  Setting
Ignore just didn't make sense,  because  I would NOT WANT Koha to ignore
itemnumber field. So I ran around in circles until eventually I unmapped
the field and ran MARC check again. It reporteed no errors, so i though
that's what the solutionthat error message was.....Sorry about the long
story...just trying to say..I'm not posting flippnatly to the list to
give you guys a hard time, I'm actually spending a lot of time guessing
and working by trial and error, deeply respectful of all the good work
you guys have done...

So today I finally figured out that intemnumber subfield *has* to be set
to ignore. And now the editing and deleting of items works :-)

>> 2. In Cataloging, when changing updating values in field 942c
>> (itemtypes) in the Marc editor screen it does not update the new
>> value in the biblioitems table.
> Have you linked 942c to biblioitems.itemtype in Biblioframework ?
> Is biblioitems.itemtype linked to only one subfield in the framework
> you use ?

YES! I have simply made a list of all the Koha fields, set virtually all
other MARC fields to ignore, so I have the complete set of koha tags
mapped *correctly*. As mentined before I can actually edit/update the
MARC form and it all works, in MARC view- but it does not translate to
simple view. I make a change- say the title, or item type, then it shows
up in MARC view, however the Opac renders the tradtional, simple view
and the changes are not reflected. I AM sure there is something wrong
there, I can replicate this behaviour in the the Liblime demo installation!

>> 3. When Deleting a book from Koha, the Biblio Subtitle (245b) is not
>> erased from the subtitle database. When new books are added then the
>> subtitles of the other books get all screwed up, Wrong, random
>> subtitles for the books. Only solution is command line or phpmyadmin.
>> Spooky!

Thank you for the updated biblio.pm in the the CVS. Subtitles are now
correctly deleted and I'm very thankful. I urge all users of 2.9.9 to
update this file.
> Maybe a solution would be to upload libLime's MARC framework in your
> DB rather than trying to build one on your own.
> Koha MARC frameworks are quite sensitive to bad configuration.

Hmmm. One can do that? That's cool! But how would I do that? And how do
I import it. Sorry to bother you with this, but I have not read or seen
anything about this, a link to some info would do, I'll figure out the rest.

> I also tested npl templates for all the problems you speak about.
> Everything works well.

When you get a moment please check if MARC form edits show up in
simple/Opac view,

Thanks again and kind regards,
Bo