[Koha] Having more than one 'barcode' for an item

Kevin O'Rourke lists at caboose.org.uk
Wed Mar 14 00:05:47 NZDT 2007

James Weinheimer wrote:
> Once you start to barcode--which is a unique number, I think there will be
> little reason to continue the accessions numbers. I have discovered that
> this can be very difficult for staff to accept, but maintaining multiple
> unique numbers is even more difficult in the long run.

I don't think our library staff have any particular attachment to
accession numbers, so changing over to a different system would not be
an issue.
> Barcoding should not be seen only as more work. They can take the place of
> old processes as well. And if you are definitely going to barcode, then it
> should begin as soon as possible, since everything you do today will need a
> barcode sooner or later. It's easy to put a barcode on an item while you
> process it, but believe me: afterwards, it becomes *very difficult!*.

The issue isn't so much the work of sticking barcodes on items, although
even just buying appropriate labels to print barcodes on is difficult in
Nigeria!  It was more to reduce manual data entry, barcode readers are
going to be expensive and difficult to procure here and when they fail
(as they inevitably will) it will take time to get replacements.

Kevin

--
Kevin O'Rourke
ICT Coordinator, National Teachers' Institute, Kaduna, Nigeria