[Koha] overlay records - Using MarcEdit

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Sat Mar 10 11:36:35 NZDT 2007

Jason Ronallo wrote:

> What I'm wondering is if I have a record for an item in the system
> already, can I edit the record outside of Koha and then overlay my
> edited record over top of the one already in the system.  I'm
> particularly wondering about this for batch editing and global
> changes. If this is possible with bulkmarcimport.pl, what is matched
> on to decide what record gets overlayed?  Many of the books I'm
> cataloging are too old to have ISBN/ISSN/LCCN.

Hi Jason

Yep that feature has just been written for the Kapiti District Libraries
  here in NZ. Its in acceptance testing at the moment. But how it works
is you load your edited record into the reservior, then go to
cataloging, search for the record, you will find the catalogue copy and
your reservior copy. You can then choose to merge them, which gives you
a screen where you can choose the fields you want. Here are some screen
shots which illustrate better.

http://katipo.co.nz/gallery/album205/Workflow_screens
and
http://katipo.co.nz/gallery/album205/build_cat_record

I have just added a feature which lets you select all of the reservoir
record so you can do a replace of everything easy.

So it doesnt allow for batch editing, you would need to edit
bulkmarcimport to do taht yourself, or better yet write a new one. But
it does allow for safely updating a MARC record with another one,
without trashing any local data.

Chris