[Koha] What perl editor is best for Koha

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Jun 24 12:20:40 NZST 2007

Owen Leonard wrote:

> This is an issue that continues to arise for folks who want to modify
> templates or develop their own. Currently, there is no simple way to track
> changes between versions with regards to the templates. The only reliable
> method is to diff the current and previous version of the standard template
> (default and npl /should/ always be up to date), and apply the relevant
> differences to your custom template.

Yes, the above diff technique is one I have used for years, as an
experienced programmer. I would not recommend the approach for others.

> It's my understanding that some large projects use a system wherein all
> pieces of translatable text are separated out from the template in a master variables
> list which can then be updated independently of the templates. Koha has a
> translation script which I suppose could also be used to alter terminology
> within the same language.

Internationalisation and language neutrality are accomplished by
requiring all text strings to be placed into a database of some sort,
and only references to these strings by a stringID permitted in
templates and source code.

> Regardless, translation of strings is only one aspect of the template
> customization process. I think all web applications require a lot of care
> and attention on the part of template developers. There's just no simple
> way to automatically update a custom template to conform to changes to the
> scripts.

If you have a look at the Zen Garden of CSS
<http://www.csszengarden.com/>

and the ccs./edge site
<http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/index.html>

you will see that (a) the content for Koha can be written in style-
or display-neutral templates/XHTML (that is incidentally language neutral)
and (b) use of CSS can be used to brand the Koha page to your own look and
feel.

But, this takes a lot of work and a lot of experience with CSS ...
experience that I am slow to come by meself!

cheers
rickw