[Koha] Marc Framework Question

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat Jun 16 12:40:55 NZST 2007

----- "Olugbenga Adara" <gbengaadara at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am setting up koha for the Nigerian Institute of
> Social and Economic Research in Ibadan Nigeria.
>
> Their cataloguing will be done by direct data entry
> (over 30000 items)
>
> I prefer to use marc but the fields of the default
> framework that are displayed are to many for efficient
> data entry.
>
> What is just needed are fields for
>
> Author
> Additional Author
> Author's affiliation (this is used to identify authors
> in certain institutions, e.g. WHO, World Bank etc)
> Title
> Place of Publication
> Year
> Publisher
> ISBN
> Physical Description
> Classmark (Dewey)
> barcode
> Date received
>
> For the major data entry, i plan to use others means
> to create text file, then use marcmaker to make mark
> and then upload into the system. but i also need a
> framework for day to day cataloguing.
>
> i will appreciate any suggetion or pointers
>
> thanks
>
> NB. i've tried setting certain tags to not display but
> this tags are just to many and some still display
> nevertheless.
>
> im using koha 2.2.9 on mysql5 (suse10.1)
Although some MARC aficionados will cringe, you can simply delete
the fields you don't need from the default framework (gasp!). The
only required fields in a record are those linked to biblionumber,
biblioitemnumber, itemnumber, and itemtype. By default, those are
set to 090$ 090$c, 952$u. You can delete all of the ones you don't
need. Keep in mind that if you import records from another source
via Z39.50, any fields not defined in the framework will be
deleted from the MARC (a regrettable 'feature' of the current
implementation of the frameworks ...).

Another alternative, is to set the 'hidden' field to the
appropriate value to hide any given subfield from the cataloging
client Note that hidden field is a coded field with multiple
possible values. From the help file:

# hidden : allows you to select from 19 possible visibility
conditions, 17 of which are implemented. They are the following:

( ! means 'not visible' or in the case of Collapsed 'not Collapsed')

-9 => Future use
-8 => Flag
-7 => OPAC !Intranet !Editor Collapsed
-6 => OPAC Intranet !Editor !Collapsed