[Koha] Consortial ?s, load testing, Evergreen

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Fri Jan 26 23:20:17 NZDT 2007

Salvete!

Sooooo, hypothetically, if one were to compare Koha to another OSS, say
Evergreen

http://www.open-ils.org/

what would our advantages be? I know that over the years, folks have
asked questions about running different libraries on one server
(essentially a tiny consortium if the libraries involved have different
loan periods and fines and patrons). I haven't seen one of these
questions come across here in a little while, but the last time one did,
I seem to remember that it was possible to have several different
libraries using the same server with different fines and patrons and
loan periods. Is this right?
Do you all have things set up so that if say Stephen and I were to
collaborate (I'm just using this as an example for ease of answer) would
I be able to see the stuff that I keep on the shelves at Hinsdale
*before* expanding my search to encompass Nelsonville? I see that on his
catalogue (which is looking quite spiffy, by the by) if I select
Nelsonville as the branch and then Bleak House as my search, I will not
return the copy of Bleak House that is at Athens and Glouster. Is this
something that is inherent to Stephen's catalogue? If it's not what I
would like to see would be a suggestion returned from the search that I
widen my search parameters in this case. (*Your* branch doesn't own a
copy, but Koha finds this title at Athens and Glouster)
Is Stephen's souped up catalogue available for use yet (cause I know
that folks are gonna ask me that)? If so, that returns me to the
question of should I really be writing my documentation for ye olde
default if the souped up version of things is now the de facto default?
Do the number of branches top out? Has anyone done a stress test to see
how many volumes and branches Koha can handle?
I also am aware that I can see the MARC records through the MARC view
feature. Are there any plans in the works that would allow me to export
an individual MARC record that I'm viewing as one might through III or
Dynix? (I was thrilled to see that the subject headings on Bleak House
are not fragmented. Tee hee! Thanks for making MARC cooperate)
I might be pestering you guys with these sorts of questions quite a bit
in the coming days, and I may even ring a few of you up. Please go easy
on the small rural librarian that's had no reason to really look out of
her cataloguing cacoon for a while now since she's been quite snug in
the cuddly features she's found thus far in Koha. An exciting level of
highly unofficial preliminary interest has caused this policy to
change...

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA