[Koha] Ahoy!

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Jan 25 05:02:07 NZDT 2007

M,

Cataloging for your own use is one thing, it is another to catalog at a
level where you other institutions will be willing to take your records,
unless they are very very rare. Libraries use a data schema called MARC.
You can find it at:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/

MARC has about 3000 fields and subfields. It is very granular, but not
yet enough. When mapping your Filemaker file to MARC you will not be
using MARC to the accepted level. Works for a local catalog, but not so
much for sharing. The Windows Tool to use to make the conversion is
MARCEdit, freely available. For input, Easy MARC Edit, a free part of
MARC Wizard, might be useful. (I've not tried it myself.)

Each of the fields has a content standard. The major one being AACR2,
soon to be RDA. That tells just what goes into each field in MARC. The
subject fields have Sears or Library of Congress subject headings or
MeSH or AAT and each of those have standards on how the subjects are
selected, constructed and applied. Same for classification numbers,
other sets of standards. Antiquarian materials have additional or
different content rules. If you are in Germany, there are other
standards in use, though I think they are moving towards MARC and RDA.
So, it will take a good while for your imputer to learn to create
records at the level universities will accept, but not so much for your
own local use.

Unless you are dealing with unpublished manuscripts or archives you may
be surprised to find just how much have been cataloged. OCLC has a
database with over 1 billion items, you can search it at:
http://www.worldcat.org/

If you find an item there you can then point your Z39.50 client at that
institution to get the record.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Lunar and Planetary Institute
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/library/

P.S. Check out our weekly podcast, now over a year old.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/library/whats_new.shtml