[Koha] Koha MARC21

Marty Jongepier bluejaydesign at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 18 15:53:50 NZDT 2007

Sorry, but you are completely utterly and hopelessly lost.

MARC21 is a standardized system (see http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/)

Go to a public library and ask a librarian to explain the basics of the MARC
system.

It might seem confusing but it is fairly straightforward. Training for MARC?
Go here for some basics: http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/

To name a few MARC 21 fields;

020 : ISBN

022 : ISSN

100 : Main entry : Personal name (Author)

110 : Main entry : Corporate name (Author)

245 : Main entry : Title statement (Title)

440 : Series statement/added entry-title (Title of a series), in subfields
you can enter the Volume

Our library does not have periodicals, but I would enter them under 110,
245, and 440. There is also such a thing as ISSN numbers, the equivalent of
ISBN numbers for periodicals.

Field 520 contains (according to the standard): "Unformatted information
that describes the scope and general contents of the materials. This could
be a summary, abstract, annotation, review, or only a phrase describing the
material". To put the volume amount here seems a bit odd, I would put it in
a subfield of 300

Hope this helps a bit.

Marty