[Koha] Any interest in adding MP3 ID3v2 read/write capability to Koha?

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Sat Dec 1 06:57:56 NZDT 2007

Hi,
  We have a good sized collection (and growing) of MP3 encoded audio
that we plan to use Koha to catalog. Most of our MP3's have to have
tags created and added to them. A few have tags already. The job of
creating them could be made a lot easier by adding the ability to
write ID3v2 tags to the MP3's based on the corresponding marc record
for the audio archive. (Our in-house software does this currently, but
is coded in VB rather than Perl.) We have been looking at using
MP3::Tag to incorporate this read/write capability into Koha. To do
this right, I think some discussion is in order prior to beginning.
I'd like to hear feedback on two points:

1. From the user prospective: Is there any interest/demand for this
type of feature?

2. From the developer prospective: What is the best mapping plan for
marc fields to ID3v2 frames and vise-versa? If you are not familiar
with the ID3v2 standard, take a look at
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames which is probably the relevant
part for this discussion.

Regards,