[Koha] Koha installation: which hardware and OS?

Wojciech Zatorski listy-in at zatorski.net
Sun Aug 12 22:57:46 NZST 2007

Hello Roger,

RH> I'd like recommendations on which hardware and OS to choose to most easily,
RH> reliably, and economically run Koha, and only Koha?

RH> We don't need a very powerful server: our library is small, about 10,000
RH> books; we have about 35 students.

for 35 students every computer will be good (only no Celeron;)

i suggest Core Duo 2 with min. 2GB of memory..

RH> (1) what hardware will give us the
RH> least trouble in setting up Koha, and please be as specific as possible,
RH> such as a Dell [model, CPU, etc.];

for example:

we have now :
1. Apache with mod_perl (without mod_perl KOHA is useless work) and
other stuff like postfix, samba, etc.
Pentium 4 3 Ghz 1MB/800 Mhz, 1,5GB Memory, 3Com ethernet cards, ata
2. Database
Pentium 4 2,6 Ghz, 1,5GB Memory,36 x 4 SCSI

now we will be migrating to dedicated server for KOHA:
Fujitsu-Siemens PY TX200S3fi/X E5310
Xeon DP E5310 1.60GHz 2x4MB 1066MHz
4GB 2x2GB Base FBD667 PC2-5300F d ECC
DVD-ROM ATAPI
HD SAS 3Gb/s 146GB 10k hot plug 3.5" szt.2
RAID-Ctrl 0-Channel SAS 128MB LP LSI

this all for: 100 staff and about ~18000 students

RH> 2) what OS running on that hardware
RH> will require the least troubleshooting,

OS: PLD and OpenSUSE
soon only OpenSUSE
tested on Debian too:)

RH> In sum, what is the most standard hardware and OS configuration for Koha?

everything what working with linux:)

RH> What we really need now is a machine and OS that will allow us a clean
RH> install without a lot of debugging and troubleshooting.

remember mod_perl is first what you must install:)

test for 2000 requests (Concurrency Level 20):
CGI (standard work of koha): 30.209421 sec
mod_perl:   2.180615 sec

bye

--
The Main Library of Szczecin University.
Computerization Department.