[Koha] Migration of data from Access

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Tue Dec 26 14:58:26 NZDT 2006

Monday, December 25, 2006     19:50 CST

Hi, Arnab,

To migrate your data, you could make use of a free tool like MARCEdit, for which you can find some information and a download link off the Library of Congress MARC Records, Systems and Tools page at
    URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html>.

You would have to convert the Access database into a delimited text file and use the MARCEdit tool for importing, being careful to set up the fields and subfields parameters in MARCEdit so as not to lose any information and to ensure it ends up in the correct place according to MARC coding standards. If you are using MARC21, the free bibliographic standards information off of the MARC Standards page
    URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/>.
at LC is invaluable.

How well your data migration works will depend greatly on the shape the data is in in MSAccess. GIGO.

Depending on where your call number data is stored and how, you may also have problems in creating call numbers that Koha can display/use, although this is not usually a great difficulty to fix.

If you would like, please feel free to send me a record sample (a few typical records -- not 100s or 1000s) off listserv and I would be glad to advise you on the field set-up for the MARCEdit delimited text import stage. I cannot take on more free editing at this time.

I hope this information helps. Best of luck with your migration and use of Koha.

Sincerely,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte