[Koha] Perl Modules for Windows Installs

Rob Weir robweir at alum.drexel.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:44:27 NZDT 2006

All the Perl Modules needed for Koha (that I am aware of) are included in the windows install file. As an aside, if you discover any that are missing, please let me know.

However, the two or three most recent versions of ActivePerl include a major new version of PPM (perl package manager). PPM is ActiveState's tool for managing the perl modules. The windows install package calls ppm to install the modules, and the new version of ppm has major changes in syntax that broke the script that I use to install the modules. If you are using ActivePerl 5.8.8.818 or later, and you ran the windows install package, there is a good chance that some or all of the required modules for koha did not install correctly.

If your Koha machine has a good internet connection, it is not that difficult to manually install additional modules. There is a shourtcut on your Start menu to run PPM. In ActivePerl versions prior to build 818, PPM (version 3.x) is a command line utility. Type "ppm help" at a command line for a help screen. Starting with build 818, PPM (version 4) has a gui interface and there is a standard help file.

If you don't want to mess with a manual updates or don't have an internet connection to your Koha machine, I have posted an install package of just the 5.8.8 perl modules at http://koha.rwjr.com/  This package should now work on any 5.8.8.x version of ActivePerl. It should be safe to run or rerun as necessary - it only does Perl modules. It does not touch any other portion of your Koha install. If the modules are already there, it should not hurt anything. Please let me know if there are any issues.

I will also post an updated install package for Koha 2.2.6 that includes the fix to make it work properly with the newer versions of ActivePerl. It should be there by tomorrow.

Next on my list is to tackle an install package for 2.2.7. I am anxious to see if we can get the new version of Z3950 to work on windows. Are there any volunteers with some time and a test machine who could help me test and debug a 2.2.7 install package?

Rob