[Koha] Migrating from Koha on Windows to Koha on Linux

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 04:05:30 NZDT 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Jenny Collery wrote:

> Hi, has anyone had any experience of migrating a Koha system set up on
> windows (with bib records & users records etc) to Koha on Linux. Any
> advice or sharing of experiences welcome. Thanks

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this
migration should be at all difficult.  All of the data is stored in your
MySQL database and all of the website is in a bunch of files.  You should
just be able to install Koha on linux, run mysqldump to dump the database
out on windows, then load it up in MySQL on the linux machine.

So, what I'd suggest is to move one component at a time:

1. Install Koha (the same version you have already) on a Linux machine.
   Test that it works with the basic database you have.  The debian
   installation is documented here:
	http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=debian

2. On the windows machine run
	mysqldump -u root -p Koha >koha.sql
   and give the root password.  This should dump the entire database into
   koha.sql.  Transfer this file to the linux server.

3. Now on the linux machine go into the MySQL console and rename the
   existing Koha database to something else like Koha-default.
	http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/rename-database.html

4. At the mysql console in linux, load the "koha.sql" with something like:
	source koha.sql

This should re-create your Koha database on the linux machine.  Now if you
login to Koha on the new machine you should be able to see all your data.

Gavin