[Koha] ZOOM required? probable mistake in Install.pm

Mike Dalgity dalgity at htl.net
Sat Nov 4 03:59:17 NZDT 2006

Hi,

I'd like to know whether ZOOM is required for Koha 2.2.6 or can I still use
Net::Z3950?  The reason being that ZOOM requires a fairly recent version of
YAZ which I'm having problems with on OpenBSD.  I posted about this issue
sometime back in January I think.  Basically any version of YAZ newer than
2.1.8 causes problems with the Koha installer script after it does the perl
module check.  Any interactive input is automatically entered as blank and
this results in the error "Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at
Install.pm line 637, <STDIN> line 1." which then in turn results in an
infinite loop in the kohaadmin password and mysql password prompts because
they are blank.  The same behaviour used to occur with Net::Z3950 and YAZ >
2.1.8 but at least I can use Net::Z3950 with YAZ 2.1.8.
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2006/009583.html  I did send off an
email to the YAZ list a few days ago but so far no response.

During troubleshooting I narrowed the cause of this problem to the following
line in the checkperlmodules function of Install.pm:
	unless (eval {require ZOOM})   { push @missing,"ZOOM" };
If I comment that out then the installation proceeds normally.

I then decided to test YAZ using yaz-client.  I looked up the documentation
and was able to connect to Index Data's test server and test commands such
as find and scan.  I don't know where to go from here so any help is
appreciated.

Also while looking at Install.pm in the checkperlmodules section I noticed
what appears to be another problem where modules are not actually checked
whether they are installed.  I don't know perl well but I believe the
require statements should be changed to match the modules in the push
statement

	unless (eval {require MARC::File::XML})   { push
@missing,"MARC::File::XML" };
	unless (eval {require MARC::File::XML})   { push @missing,"LWP::Simple" };
	unless (eval {require MARC::File::XML})   { push @missing,"XML::Simple" };
	unless (eval {require MARC::File::XML})   { push @missing,"Date::Calc" };
	unless (eval {require MARC::File::XML})   { push
@missing,"MARC::File::XML" };

Never mind, looks like it was fixed in CVS after the 2.2.6 release.

Thanks,
Mike D.