[Koha] import from OpenOffice Calc

Sebastian revoltingbook at kodeaffe.de
Fri Oct 27 16:20:25 NZDT 2006

re..

sorry for intruding again, but...

* Sebastian <revoltingbook at kodeaffe.de> [2006-10-27 14:32 +1300]:

> firstofall, thanks for you answer.
>
> * "Steven F. Baljkas" <baljkas at mts.net> [2006-10-26 18:38 +1300]:
> > Wednesday, October 25, 2006    21:47 CDT
> >
> > No, you would not need to export to XML first. You should be able to save your data as delimited text and use a very handy free tool called MARCEdit, available off of the Library of Congress MARC Records, Systems and Tools page, to convert it into functional MARC records.
> >
> > Surf to URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html> to find MARCEdit.
> >
> > I have been told by a linux user in the past that MARCEdit was stable on linux. But if not in your case, I could convert delimited text forwarded for you (although I currently do NOT have the time to do any more editing).
> >
> > Let me know if you need further assistance with that.
>
> it seems to run in Wine. but still, the text import function seems to
> require the records to be in a specific format.
> i will see if i can come up with a little scriptthat produces output
> MARCEdit can digest. i will send it to the list, then. unfortunately,
> i will leave very soon, so do not expect anything.

within MARCEdit, there is a little tool to convert a delimited text file
into MARC text file. after i found out that i had to have DOS
line-breaks in the delimited text file and found a mapping of field
descriptions to MARC numbers (like: first author => 100$a), it produced
a file i could load into MARCEdit. i could not see any data, but i could
save a MARC file and it printed the same amount of records that are to
be seen in OpenOffice. promising!

next Sunday, we will have a meeting and we can hopefully configure Koha
and import the data. expect no further mails on this topic if everything
goes well. :)

> > N.B. for Koha, you will have to choose between UNIMARC and MARC21 (etc.) in terms of MARC flavours.
>
> whatever that means. >:) but i reckon my fellow librarians can explain
> that to me.

thanks for the clarification Brooke.

cheers,
 Sebastian
--
 _   ascii ribbon campaign     .oOo.   GCSd-s:+aC++ULB+++W++M+PS+++Y+
( )