[Koha] MARC tag structure problem, Dewey problems & Possible to create items when importing MARC?

Aren Olson reacocard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 11:51:05 NZST 2006

I am helping a public library switch to koha, and have a few problems that
have come up while importing the old data.

First, on the "MARC Check" page, It says

*item fields* ALL items fields MUST :
be mapped to the same tag,
and they must all be in the 10 (items) tab
  *Item tag* There is more than 1 MARC tag related to items tab (10) :
852,952,
This is correct, the previous ILS's MARC setup puts some item data on each
tag. Is it safe to leave it like this?

Secondly, some of the old items had their dewey number in the "Material
Type" section. This results in koha putting each of these items into its own
type, eg. "910", or "E567". Is there any way to tell koha these items belong
to a particular type?

Thirdly, is there any way to have koha automatically create items from a
MARC import? The records import, but I have to manually create an item for
each record before I can use it. This is impractical, since there are
thousands of records.

I am using koha 2.2.5 on Ubuntu Linux.

Thanks,
Aren Olson
reacocard at gmail.com
--
"Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K.
Jackson