[Koha] Borrowers vs Branches vs Circulation...

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Tue Sep 12 11:30:35 NZST 2006

Salvete!

>- a common book database for all branches, WITH proper restrictions
>(no modifications, circulation etc. of items from other branch);
>- a common borrower database for all branches, but I need ....
>- ... ability to assign a borrower to one, two, three or all branches
>with respectable issue rules...
>- ... and respectable membership policies, which actually narrows to
>enrollment period and enrollment fee...
>- ... with fines / payments COMMON to all branches a borrower belongs
>to. I mean: acount suspended in one branch - automatically suspended
>in all and so on.

If someone gets time to add these, great. A lot of these resemble what I
would consider to be a consortial package. Please keep in mind that
effectively you aren't asking for a normal public library setup at all
here, you're asking for a normal setup for _multiple_ public libraries
(or multiple libraries of different types). Now, I can only imagine that
this is a lot of programming for someone (or more likely, several
someones.) In short, you're asking for a lot right now. It goes back to
good, fast and cheap. You can have 2. I'm willing to wait, because I'm
on the good and cheap plan>:).

That being said, I'm starting to hear more rumbles from the library
community to the effect of "Gee, we wish that we can use Koha for our
consortium" or "Gee, it would be neat if a bunch of libraries could get
together and use Koha, but we want to retain our individual policies in
regards to borrowers and due dates, et cetera." So, if some very, very,
very charitable developer out there happened to eventually put this on
the road map (or better if it's there and worded differently or I'm too
dumb to have noticed put it on the chopping block) that would be
splendid. Also splendid would be to assign these features an amount in
US dollars in terms of development costs, just in case someone with a
big bag of money happens to wish to make them appear out of thin air for
folks that are on the fast and good plan.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA