Re Re: [Koha] Koha reports not working

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Aug 22 18:49:09 NZST 2006

the undead wrote:
>> From: "Mohamed Imran K R" <mohamedimran.kr at gmail.com>
>> To: "the undead" <the_real_undead at hotmail.com>
>> CC: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
>> Subject: Re: Re Re: [Koha] Koha reports not working
>> hi
>>
>> Dear Mr.
>>> as I understand "LDAP, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, is an
>>> Internet
>>> protocol that email and other programs use to look up information from a
>>> server."  as it's in http://www.gracion.com/server/whatldap.html
>>

>> so why do u need it for koha? could u please explain that to me if you
>> have
>> time for that
>

>> ldap is what you said it is but  more importantly  its  just a directory
>> which programs use to authenticate the users accessing that system.
>> for ex, if you have an ldap directory containing all the usernames of
>> your
>> organization, then you can have many applications looking up for
>> information
>> from it.
>>
>> i have an openldap server in my institution that is authenticating
>> users for
>> mail servers, data servers, course management software etc.,
>>
>> i would also like koha to authenticate its users through the same
>> directory
>> just to have the same usernames across all apps.
>>

> Is your organization that pig, I mean you can consider the manual
> solution by searching the ldap for koha and get the information you need
>
> I don't know either about perl but I think that you may add an autherity
> list for the members inside koha but I don't know how you will be able
> to link it to the members field as it's not in the marc structure
>
> what do you think about that?

Koha supports LDAP and Mohamed has that working if I remember correctly.
What he is having trouble with is mapping his fields from the LDAP
database to the Koha one. You have to edit the Auth_with_ldap.pm module
to make it work with your LDAP server.

As far as I know he has it so that Koha uses the LDAP to autheniticate
against, he just doesnt have it populating the members table in Koha.

I didnt write the Koha LDAP code and hence dont have a great
understanding of how it works, but if someone who worked on it could
help Mohamed out that would be great

Chris