[Koha] ISBN problem

Weinheimer Jim j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Fri Aug 18 01:15:46 NZST 2006

Hello,

I am a librarian, so I know a little about ISBNs. ISBNs can be confusing because they were designed by the publishers for their purposes, while librarians simply decided to copy the ISBN number into their records. For cataloging purposes (at least in the rules that I have worked with), ISBNs do not determine editions. For example, ISBNs for paperback and hardback editions are always different (this is very important information for publishers!), but for catalogers, there is a rule that a difference in binding does not constitute a new edition. Therefore, this can be confusing.

Also, it has turned out that some publishers have been reusing old ISBNs since they are running out of numbers(!). Also, there are new uses foreseen for ISBNs, and as a result, there are now 13 digit ISBNs. So, today one book will have all kinds of ISBN: hardback, paperback, 13 digit, 10 digit, sets vs. individual volumes, and so on.

If that's not enough, ISSNs have similar problems!

As a question: isn't it possible to write a perl script that, when searching ISBNs, will ignore everything except the numbers? This would be a good feature.

Regards,
James Weinheimer
Director of Library and Information Services
American University of Rome
Rome, Italy