[Koha] Web based installation of Koha for a web site / nothing installed on the home computer

Truth Collins truths at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 19 12:18:28 NZST 2006

Dear S. and Josh, et. all,

I just signed up for the list and read what I could find helpful.  Thank you Josh for your reply earlier; and yes I did contact Liblime, but the price I was given, $2,500 per year for a library of under 20,000 items was well beyond my means; as well as paying someone to install, which Liblime didn't give me a price for be said it would be more than the yearly subscription; hence my further requests.

In this case I need a solution that I can do myself.  I basically need to set up a web based library automation catalog for as close to free as possible.

S. said he was going to paste my message here, but I didn't see it so I am pasting it bellow.

Josh: earlier you replied that Koha could be installed on most web based servers that are subscription based.  Pardon me, but I would like you add one more degree of detail, if you will.  See my pasted message bellow.

Thanks,
Truth C.

S.

 On 7/11/06, Truth Collins <truths at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Dear Steven,

I sent you a reply earlier but since then it occured to me that if I sent you a direct link to where I would like to host Koha along with the Server info then that would be a more direct way of communicating my question.  Would I need to get him a virtual server subscription or could he install Koha on his web site without maintaining a server?

So here goes:
the hosting company is Start Logic - http://startlogic.com/

could I install Koha with the following web site hosting package? http://startlogic.com/products_prologic.html

I notice that they have a virtual server subscription service also.

The server information in his website control panel (vdeck) says that Mysql, Perl, and  Apache are included.
operating system mysql version mysql  Ver 12.22 Distrib 4.0.16
perl versionperl, v5.8.3
then there is a long list of installed  modules...

Thanks,

Truth C.

Stephen Hedges < st.hedges at gmail.com> wrote: Koha is (technically) web-based -- it runs on a web server using Windows or Linux or BSD as the server operating system.  But I think what you mean is what I think is called a web service:  a company or organization actually hosts the site and the software, and you just add your own records to their server hardware.  I don't know of any companies that offer that service, though Liblime might ( www.liblime.com).

Stephen

On 7/8/06,  Truth Collins <truths at sbcglobal.net > wrote: Dear st.hedges,

  I request that you coordinate the addition of "web based installation" documentation.

  I have been attempting to install Koha on a web site for a friend who has a non-profit organization   http://alexandriawest.org/ and was hoping to find documentation for a web based install.  I have installed a couple other scripts using web based installation scripts - like Jinzora (  http://www.jinzora.com/ a media library engine / streamer etc..., script in Php that scans directories of a web site for media files and automatically adds them - and that has eased process but with Koha I see no documentation for installing on a web server.  I see windows and linux and bsd documentation but I don't entirely know what that means.

  Thank you for considering my  concerns,

  Truth C.