[Koha] Continuting z3950 madness - FIXED

Greg Vickers daehenoc at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jun 29 23:15:03 NZST 2006

Hi all,

Greg Vickers wrote:
> Hi all,

<snip>

OK, ok. We found out what was causing our 'problem'. The process we were
following (see previous email) meant that our search data is not passed
through to the empty bibliography screen - hence when we click on the
'z3950 search' button the daemon would fail to return any results!

We populated the "Biblionumber : With Framework" page with some data
(i.e. an ISBN number or something) and voila! The z3950 daemon would
successfully return data!

Credit goes to Stephen P. Gregory, here is his message to me:

<quote>
After you do a search locally and it fails to return any records, you
click "Add New Biblio" and the flow proceeds to a screen with some blank
fields for entering MARC info, and a "Z3950 Search" button, but none
of the MARC fields are filled in - a naive user such as myself might
assume that the MARC 020|a field would be populated with the ISBN
on which I searched (locally) in the previous step, but it isn't.
If I click "Z3950 Search" now I get the misbehavior that you
described, including the Breeding.pl line 168 thing in the log.

But if I type the ISBN I'm looking for into the 020|a field on the
"new biblio" form, then click "Z3950 Search", then the Z39.50
search executes OK and finds the record.

So it looks to me as if the ISBN/Title on which you search locally
in the previous step is not being passed forward and attached
to the "Z3950 Search" button.  Is this normal?  I don't know whether
I'm using this feature as the authors intended, but it works when I
do it that way.
</quote>

Stephen and ourselves both were caught in this idiosyncrasy (obvious in
hindsight!) which seems like a trap for new players.

Maybe a note should be added to these pages on how to use them successfully?

Thanks all,
Greg