[Koha] Koha installation on 64bit box + Koha vs et al...?

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Fri Jun 23 09:28:02 NZST 2006

Thursday, June 22, 2006    16:08 CDT

Anson,

I am unaware of a recognised comparative "table" that would give you the information you might want.

Please note, various ILS companies generate promotional products that look very much like what you are asking for. Inevitably, their chosen (high-end) product will be shown to meet all one's needs, while competitors' products fall short.

These lists are instructive, however. One of my past supervisors used several to compile her own criteria table for evaluation for an RFP in 2001. At that time, and after careful research, she had found compiling her own table (well, checklist really) was the only option.

Now, you might try checking online via the ALA, Information Today Online, the Librarian's Index to the Internet or such to see if someone has created something approaching the table you need.

There are/were periodicals (Information Today, Library Hi Tech, Library Software Review, Library Systems Newsletter) and special articles/issues in others (Library Journal, Library Technology Reports) that deal/t with library automation software and issues.

There is also Pamela Cibbarelli's excellent _Directory of Library Automation Software, Systems, and Services_. It offers a standardised approach to reviewing ILS capabilities/capacities, but it is important to note first off that it is written from a library science perspective and those seeking computer science and network administrative level details from it may well be somewhat disappointed (hardware and system requirements given but not much beyond that). Offsetting that for many of us, there are the listings of published reviews and articles (when available) with each entry. The edition I have is years out-of-date now but I am given to understand that its project is carried on (a new edition out? forthcoming?).

Hope that this little info has helped a bit.

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB, Canada