[Koha] z3950 ?? requests to go

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu May 18 20:35:07 NZST 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:45, Erich Beyer wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I am running Koha on a linux box and after starting the z39.50
> daemon it had worked just fine, but after a while it would
> stop working requiring me to start the daemon again.
> But now it will not work at all, it just keeps refreshing and
> the "Still ?? requests to go" message just sits there.
> When I use the following command "ps auxf | grep process" to
> see the running processes (I believe that's what it does) I
> see these lines (dashes indicate the line start):
> -ipadmin  10764  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        Z    May16
> 0:00  \_ [processz3950que] <defunct>
> -ipadmin  11540  0.0  3.4 14208 8944 ?        S    May16
> 0:00 /usr/bin/perl
> /usr/local/koha/intranet/scripts/z3950daemon/processz3950queue
> /usr/local/koha/log
>
> Notice the <defunct>, is this the error?
> The next line seems to show the process running (after I
> started it again)

A defunct process (aka zombie) is a process that has terminated either because
it has been killed by a signal or because it has called exit() and whose
parent process has not yet received notification of its termination.  A
zombie process exists only as a process table entry and consumes no system
resources. This entry is retained to hold the child's exit status until the
parent process wants to retrieve it. The parent can also be notified
asynchronously via a signal of the child's termination.  We always seem to
have one defunct process associated with processz3950que and our z3950
searches work just fine, so you probably need to look elsewhere.

How are you restarting the daemon?  When I need to do this I do
ps -ef | grep z3950
kill -9 <pid> <pid> ...
/usr/local/koha/intranet/scripts/z3950daemon/z3950-daemon-launch.sh

Have you made a change to the z3950 config within koha?  Can you ping the
z3950 servers?

--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation