[Koha] what kind of barcode?

Al Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Thu May 11 13:42:58 NZST 2006

Hi All!
I haven't posted in some time, but this is one I can really speak to.
You can use just about any barcode symbology for the barcodes that you
apply to the booksin your collection. Actually, Code 39 is one of the
simplest choices because it is almost universally available from
companies that produce preprinted barcodes. It is very flexible because
it is alphanumeric, and so you can even make the barcode somewhat more
meaningful.

In the libraries ( I have been involved in the automation of several
hundred libraries over the last 25 years or so) that I assisted in
automating in the past, we always used Code 39 barcodes, and included
both an alpha and a numeric part of the code to identify each book
uniquely for circulation purposes. E.G. For the barcodes United Talmud
Torahs Elementary School in Montreal, the barcodes consisted of the
libray holding symbol - QMUT (This was assigned to them by the National
Library of Canada), and 6 numeric digits, starting with 000001. For
example, QMUT002345. [Unique alpha codes are assigned to any library in
Canada upon request and may used in connection with InterLibrary Loan. A
similar code may be assigned to libraries in the United States through
the Library of Congress.] In this way the barcode on the item, which may
have the Library Name printed above the code and the number below it,
will uniquely be identified and cannot be accepted in error by other
libraries or branches as it could be if you use a purely numeric code
that uses a sequence starting at 1 and incrementing.

You need to be sure that the barcode reader that you purchase for use
with your system can read the code you select, and that the correct
number sequence is entered into each record in the correct field and
subfield used to contain the circulation information - often 852 $p.

ISBN codes are not useful in a library circulation application because
you may have more than one copy of an item. Each item must have a unique
barcode number to identify it.

I trust this is helpful to you. If you have any further questions, don't
hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Albert P. Calame
Librarian-At-Large