[Koha] Installing on Debian sarge

Nitin Madhavan mnitin73 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 15:54:35 NZST 2006

I have been using Koha on windows for a few weeks to check it out and have
been very impressed. Since the z3950 feature is not available in the windows
version, I am installing it on Linux (debian sarge). I am a newbie to linux
and need all the help I can get. I have read up the guidelines for
installation on woody and need the following clarifications :

1. I do not have a internet connection yet. Is there any way of downloading
the required packages ( the perl modules and Yaz toolkit) on another
computer and then copying them on to the hard drive of my comp for
installation using apt? If yes, i would appreciate the exact procedure, the
folder to copy into, etc.

2. The exact procedure for installing on Sarge for a linux-illiterate, if
possible

i also have a few queries reagrding Koha. Here goes

1. Can I check what books are there in the reservoir?

2. How does the auto barcode feature work? I have activated it in the system
administartion page. But it still asks for a barcode when I add a new book.
If i leave it blank and continue, it gives an error message asking me to
enter the barcode.

Thanks
Nitin