[Koha] feature suggestions

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Mar 23 06:07:28 NZST 2006

Brooke,

The University of Pennsylvania is using tags in their library. I think
the Ann Arbor Library District is also. It is not unknown.

Freetag adds tagging to a MySQL database, same thing Koha uses. Should
be able to use that as a starting place.
http://www.getluky.net/2005/04/16/freetag-an-open-source-tagging-folkson
omy-module-for-phpmysql-applications/

Personally, I'm not conviced of the usefullness of tagging in a small
system. Tags work best when lots of folks tag lots of things. Maybe as a
personal management system for folks it could be useful. If they tagged
something an item toread_dpb, it could be useful for them if not a
larger group.

Rating an item is a different tool. Recommendations could also be useful
but another tool. Trackbacks might be interesting, ping the library copy
when discussing a book. Maybe trackbacks would work best for Open
WorldCat rather than a local library. Again, a few pings scattered about
the catalog would not be very useful.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu