[Koha] More question on Cataloging using different character set (Arabic, Chinese & etc.)

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Wed Mar 1 21:44:36 NZDT 2006

Wednesday, March 1, 2006    02:19 CST

Hi, Amzari,

In follow-up to your question on cataloguing in Arabic ...

> From: Amzari Abu Bakar <amzari79 at yahoo.com>
> Date: 2006/03/01 Wed AM 12:00:49 CST
> To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
> Subject: [Koha] More question on Cataloging using different character set
> 	(Arabic, Chinese & etc.)
>
> [snip]
>
> I am following current discussions on cataloging materials in different
> character set[s] (e.g: Chinese pinyin).

Actually, it's super that you have been following these discussions, Amzari. Some of the solutions Joshua has pointed out for Carol should be directly applicable to your situation. This is because, from a MARC coding perspective, it does not matter what non-Roman script one is using when considering linkage fields.

> It's come to my attention that tags 880 have something to do with this (by
> the way, I am still learning cataloging).

As are we all, constantly! ;-D

If you check the recent train of messages to Carol, you should find a brief explanation of the 880.

As for learning about cataloguing, one thing I would suggest is to follow the advice of my cataloguing instructor: if you cannot afford the MARC coding volumes directly from LC's CDS, you can make yourself a "MARC workbook" for the Bibliographic Format by printing out and binding together the online materials that are available for free at
URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdhome.html>
It is a little easier to have it as a reference book on your desk when you are studying examples instead of scanning online (also more convenient for lunch/break studying outdoors! ;-D).

> My concern is, how to catalog Arabic Materials. My questions [are] as
> follows (assume these questions from beginner level cataloger):
>
> 1. What should I add in my MARC structure, Links to other fields and etc?

Unless Joshua -- or someone more familiar with any (hidden) peculiarities to Arabic cataloguing -- has something to add, I think the examples given in Joshua's answers to Carol should work fine.

> 2. Must I modify Koha scripts in order to enable presentation different
> character set? [snip]

Carol answered that question for you.

> 3. Can I directly catalog in [my] native language ([i.e.] Arabic) in tags
> other than tag 880, not using transliteration? Example tag 245. If I can,
> how? [snip]

Yes, you can catalogue in your own language, or for that matter, any language. I don't know if there are special rules put forth by Malaysia's National Library or other authoritative bodies for Arabic language cataloguing, but you should make some effort to see if there are standards to which your library might be expected to comply.

Beyond that advice/caveat, you could apply the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules to Arabic.

In terms of MARC coding, you would be indicating the language of the material in the normal place (positions 35-37) in the 008 tag. For clarity sake, you might want to code 040 tags (if not present in the records you find) where the $b subfield is clearly coded for Arabic.

As for how to code, the examples given in the exchanges between Joshua and Carol apply again.

If you want your patrons to be able to search with Arabic words in subject headings as well, you may have to find an Arabic-language thesaurus. I think Dewey (19? 20?) has been translated into Arabic but I am not sure about LCSH. Otherwise, there might be a Malaysian national standard to use.

BTW: in case you do need/want to do any transliteration as well, you may want to familiarise yourself with the ALA-LC Romanization Tables, available in print or online at
   URL <http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/roman.html>

Hope that this helps a bit. Joshua and Carol will have you moving in the right direction in terms of setting up your MARC frameworks.

Best of luck in your continued testing and set-up of Koha.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte