[Koha-win32] Re: [Koha] Tag 880

Carol Ku carolcool01 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 26 08:08:59 NZDT 2006

So if we were to download books directly from other libraries... it may involve lots of record code editing, as all the Chinese info in other libraries will be entered into tag 880.

  e.g.  100  Author name in pinyin
          245  Author name in pinyin
          880 $6100  Author name in chinese
          880 $6245  Title name in Chinese

  With the MARC record downloaded, I wonder if I can swap the information in tag 880 $6100 with that of tag 100, so that when I upload the record into Koha, OPAC will display the author name in Chinese instead of pinyin.

   I suspect MARCEdit will not be able to recognize the $6 link.  So I cannot designate the info at tag 100 to be swapped with info at tag 880$100 and not say 880$245.

  Anyway, Joshua, you have been of a great help.  Thank you.

  Carol
Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
  On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 09:39:43AM -0800, Carol Ku wrote:
> Joshua:
> You are wonderful!!! You mention you used the Koha MARC edit in catalogue,
> that means you manually enter the Chinese books in koha catalogue, and not
> download the record from some libraries?
Yep, that's right. So long as you have UTF-8 set up correctly, you can input
as well as display any utf-8 you want in Koha.

Now, let me warn you that the Koha MARC editor is still not perfect
and I would still recommend you use an external MARC editor if that
has been your cataloging practice thusfar. You should be able to set
it up to handle a repeatable 900, 945, etc. tag, with the appropriate
subfields to handle the transcriptions (don't limit yourself to just
the title/author, feel free to include any others you want). So long
as you set up your MARC Framework to handle the 9XX fields and link
to them via the search points (ie 245a will need a 'search also'
entry for '945a','945c' (and you might as well put '245c' in there
while you're at it)), it will work without having to use Koha's
editor. If you need more specific implementation details let me
know.

> Pardon me if this question appears to be silly. But your input is
> very helpful still.
No question is silly :-). I'm glad I could be of some help.

Sincerely,

--
Joshua Ferraro VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology migration, training, maintenance, support