[Koha] Subject-problem

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Wed Feb 8 11:04:38 NZDT 2006

Tuesday, February 7, 2006    15:45 CST

Unni,

There was a reply to a similar question on this problem a short while ago (from Thomas D? also from a newer listserv member IIRC).

If memory serves, the overall answer was that, at present, there is no way to access the information in a properly coded 650 $a with any further subdivisions (i.e. $x topical subds, $v for forms, $y for chronological, $z for geographical).

One suggestion made was to create an new **additional** 650 tag that would have the punctuation 'internalised' as it were, so that a proper tag like this
    650 _0 $aDescriptive cataloging $xRules.
would become instead
    650 -) $aDescriptive cataloging--Rules.

Of course, this is not an ideal solution.

For a small collection, it might be possible to process the first -- or most important -- 650 for each record manually this way. For a large collection, that would be a nightmare. In any case, you would want to retain your original MARC records before re-editing so that you can revert to them in the future when Koha has solved this problem without needing to delete any of the pro tem 650 fields you had to create.

Towards the temporary solution for larger collections: I know that in the past the programmers have discussed writing scripts to concatenate call numbers into desired strings in one tag subfield; perhaps it would be possible to do the same for the 650?

I do not know how multiple 650s are handled by Koha, or indeed, how the search function might be hampered by having multiple levels of subdivisions within the 650 $a (I would imagine that it would help streamline things to remove form subdivisions for the meantime).

I hope that this helps somewhat, Unni. You can check the Koha archive yourself to see if you can locate the discussion to which I refer above.

Another Koha-ite will probably respond with greater technical detail. If someone who knows what status the solution to the 650 subdivisions problem has could respond, too, I am sure we would all be grateful.

Best regards,

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte