[Koha] Something new with bulkmarcimport.pl

Andro Gagne apgagne at rochester.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 20:41:00 NZDT 2006

Cindy et al.,

         At 02:06 PM 1/6/06 -0500, Cindy Murdock wrote:

>Andro et al,
>
>I get almost the same thing when running bulkmarcimport:
>
>DBD::mysql::db do failed: Access denied for user: 'kohaadmin at localhost' to
>database 'Koha' at /usr/local/koha/intranet/modules/C4/Biblio.pm line 333.
>DBD::mysql::db do failed: Access denied for user: 'kohaadmin at localhost' to
>database 'Koha' at /usr/local/koha/intranet/modules/C4/Biblio.pm line 382.
>
>This is with 2.2.4.
>
>I just assumed that it's normal, since it happens every time, and all of
>my 97,500+ records seem to be importing.  (Phpmyadmin is handy for
>examining your database, BTW--if the number of records in the Biblio table
>is the same as your number of marc records, then AFAIK that means that
>they all were imported.)

         I'm actually using 2.2.2, and, as Stephen indicated, that's
probably the reason the lines where the "failures" occurred for you were
different from mine.

         I finally had a chance today to check the results of my first
bulkmarcimport.pl import by using SQL to directly examine the biblio table,
and, sure enough, all 1,572 records were there, and they appeared to be in
perfect shape.  Perhaps I should have done the SQL work before bothering
the list with my questions, but I didn't have time to do this on the same
day I did the import.  Also, I found the bulkmarcimport.pl screen output
particularly unhelpful and confusing, and I was wondering what others'
experiences with this script were.  If the "DBD::mysql::db do failed"
messages do not indicate a malfunction of the import process, they really
should not be displayed, it seems to me.  Furthermore, when the screen
output ends with something like "1572 MARC record done in 731.838590145111
seconds," it really should indicate that 1572 MARC records were
_successfully_ imported.  It would be even better if it gave the number of
records successfully imported and the number that could not be imported, if
possible.

>Should I be concerned with these errors?  I already have item types defined.

         It looks to me like these messages have very little purpose and
can be ignored.  Can someone tell us otherwise?

>I think if you use the -d switch when running the script, it will delete
>all your old records.

         I was pretty sure that this was the case when I wrote my last
message, but I wasn't at the museum--where my Koha machine is located--at
the time I wrote it.  Thanks for the confirmation.

         Thanks to everyone for helping this new user of Koha.

Best regards,

Andy (Andro P. Gagné)
P.O. Box 715
Canandaigua, NY 14424