[Koha] Error at Install.pm line 661 during install

Mike D. dalgity at htl.net
Thu Dec 29 17:17:23 NZDT 2005

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with a curious installation
problem. My first Koha setup was such a success (thanks to all the developers)
I have another group that has asked me to do a setup for them. I wanted to do
this install on OpenBSD so I gave 2.2.3 a try on OpenBSD 3.7. Other than
compiling Yaz from source and a couple additional perl modules to install it's
very similar to a RedHat setup. I got it working and then didn't have time to
work on it for a while. When I got back to it OpenBSD 3.8 and Koha 2.2.4 was
out so I repeated the same procedure and it worked again. I then decided to try
and get it working in OpenBSD's Apache chroot jail so I reinstalled the OS and
Koha to /var/www/koha. I found that getting Koha to run in the chroot was a
difficult problem that didn't fit in my time frame so I decide I would just run
Apache with the chroot disabled. I reinstalled OpenBSD again and started doing
the production install and ran into the problem I mention below. I have since
done a basic install again a number of times using the same procedure as before
and also varying the order to see if makes a difference but with no success.

The Problem: I run "perl installer.pl" and koha asks if I want to begin. I
answer "enter", "Y", or "y". After this prompt it no longer asks for input and
it's as if I've hit enter at every prompt and I get this error: Use of
uninitialized value in scalar chomp at Install.pm line 661, <STDIN> line 1.

It ends up in an endless loop in the following steps:
 DATABASE PASSWORD
Please provide a good password for the user kohaadmin.
IMPORTANT: You can log in using this user and password at any time.
Password for database user kohaadmin: Use of uninitialized value in scalar
chomp at Install.pm line 661, <STDIN> line 1.

 BLANK PASSWORD
You must not use a blank password for your MySQL user.
Press <ENTER> to try again:

My Basic Installation steps (obvious to see I'm using an internal ftp server so
you can't copy/paste all lines):
Setup Packages/Ports
export
PKG_PATH=ftp://mirror.arcticnetwork.ca/pub/OpenBSD/3.8/packages/`machine -
a`/:ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.8/packages/`machine -a`/

Download, Compile, Install Yaz
http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/
cd /tmp && ftp ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/yaz/yaz-2.1.10.tar.gz
tar xvzf yaz-2.1.10.tar.gz && cd /tmp/yaz-2.1.10
./configure
make && make install

Install Perl Modules
DO NOT INSTALL PDF::API2…… requires ver 0.3r77
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "MARC::Record"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Event'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::Z3950'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Digest::MD5'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "HTML::Template"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Mail::Sendmail"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Date::Manip"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Convert::ASN1"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Compress::Zlib"'
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Net::LDAP"'

have to install Net::LDAP twice unless Convert::ASN1 is installed first…don’t
know if any of the optional components are needed

Install PDF::API2 Ver 0.3r77
cd /tmp && ftp ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/perl/PDF-API2-0.3r77.tar.gz
tar xvzf PDF-API2-0.3r77.tar.gz && cd /tmp/PDF-API2-0.3r77
perl Makefile.PL
make && make install

Install MySQL
pkg_add -v mysql-server-4.0.24p1
/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe &
/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'

Koha Install
cd /tmp && ftp ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/koha/koha-2.2.4.tar.gz
tar xvzf koha-2.2.4.tar.gz && cd /tmp/koha-2.2.4
perl installer.pl

/var/www/koha/opac
/var/www/koha/intranet
/var/www/koha/log

Setup apache
Add following to  /var/www/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/koha-httpd.conf
To run apache without chroot
httpd -u

installed both from the console and via ssh and have the same problem. I've
installed on two different computers. I get the error: Use of uninitialized
value in scalar chomp at Install.pm line 661, <STDIN> line 1.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!