[Koha] Export/Import of MARC records

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Sun Dec 18 11:54:20 NZDT 2005

Saturday, December 17, 2005     16:46 CST

Hi, Carol,

In response to your problem with finding text files instead of MARC records from some libraries, a preliminary remark: it may, in the long term, be easier to try to find libraries that don't make that error.

Or, if you do know/find that these libraries are the only sources for records you need, you may be able to contact staff in their cataloguing departments for access to the records in true MARC format. We did this at an air force school library where I worked on a contract and it did save us some time.

There are also MARC record tools, of course, that will allow you to change text files into MARC records (the text should be delimited to make this easier for you).

I would recommend MARCEdit, which I have found very reliable. But you can find a good list on the Records Tools page under the Library of Congress MARC Records, Systems and Tools section at URL
   <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html#recordtools>

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas