P.S. Re: Re: [Koha] Setting up a online Rental Video Library using KOHA

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Tue Dec 13 12:22:10 NZDT 2005

Monday, December 12, 2005    17:10 CST

Hi, all,

Just a quick post scriptum to what Thomas wrote.

I had pointed out to Stephen Hedges several months back that part of the problem with relying on Amazon -- as brilliant a solution as that was -- is that Amazon is constantly shifting which book images it keeps online.

Over the course of time, it is a **certainty** that a patron would find that the familiarising image found upon a first visit to one's Koha OPAC, will not be there at a later one. Short run publications and older ones that go out-of-stock are the first to disappear.

Stephen pointed out that the code could be modified to fetch images from another website, although it would necessitate having a standard reference number for the images: I suggested using the record number from the 001 field in the MARC record as a unique identifier.

Stephen Hedges had isolated the relevant code for me several months back and my younger programmer cousin hopes to be able to modify it for me over the winter break (for us in Winnipeg, starting at the end of next week) to fetch book (and other) cover images from one's local server. He thinks this will be a simple thing to do -- for him, that is, certainly not for me -- and I hope his confidence isn't the folly of youth.

If he manages to do this for me I will send information about it back to the listserv.

Best wishes to all,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Winnipeg, MB, Canada