[Koha] Newbie: Windows NT server, Linux and Koha

Fabian Kruse d0c at gmx.de
Fri Nov 25 16:03:39 NZDT 2005

Hi Greg,

first of all thanks for the fast reply!!

>> 1. Get a new PC, install - let´s say - Fedora Core, install
>> Apache,  Perl, PHP and Koha. Connect this system to the Windows NT
>> server and  be able to provide access to Koha to all 50
>> workstations of the  office. There is no need to provide public
>> access (yet), so I think  the system has not be the latest server
>> hardware, but a normal  workstation would do.
>> But: is it possible to connect the Linux PC to the Windows NT
>> server  and enable it to be accesible for ALL Windows workstations
>> of the  office?!?
>>

> You do not have to 'connect' the Linux server to the NT server. You
> would assign the Linux Koha server an IP address and make an entry
> into the internal DNS so that when people browse to http://
> library.your.company.name/ they get to the OPAC interface.

Okay, but I still will have to integrate the system into the NT
network, or am I misuinderstanding something?
I think this should work via Samba, or are there any other
possibilities? I expect that I won´t be able to connect the Linux
server by other means, or are there?

>> I appreciate very much every thought on this topic; if anyone has
>> a  good weblink for a NT/Linux-network introduction I would be
>> grateful  as well.
>>

> The Linux Documentation Project has several HOWTOs on networking
> for Linux, here is one:
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

Thanks for this great link.
Looks very user-friendly, so I will do my homework!

Cheers
Fabian