[Koha] KOHA / MySQL limits

Librarian library at franciscans.ac.uk
Sat Nov 5 07:50:01 NZDT 2005

Hi.  We're contemplating creating a library catalog and circulation system,
but before we invest a significant amount of time and money in it, we would
like to ask 5 (probably very silly) questions:
(a) Although our catalogue will probably end up at not much more than 60,000
items and 50,000 biblios, we will probably need to work with a reservoir of
up to 10 million MARC records.  Can KOHA (and can MySQL) cope with that
number of records in its reservoir?
(b) Does anyone have any experience they would be willing to share, of using
KOHA with RFID technology rather than with barcodes to identify books and
other items?
(c) Can KOHA export MARC records?  A shared cataloguing agreement means that
we will need to contribute MARC records to other libraries from time to time,
and I don't fancy having to catalog items twice - once in KOHA and a second
time using MARC tags.
(d) The sources we will hope to use to populate our reservoir will have a
certain amount of duplication - but the different sources will have different
strengths, so we don't really want to overwrite an existing reservoir biblio
from one source with a biblio from the next source imported, because we may
well need to use LOC classes from one source, subject headings from another,
and physical cataloguing data from a third.  Is this possible?  Could it be
made possible?
(e) Most of the stuff we will be cataloguing will not have an ISBN - some of
it dates from the 1500s.  Obviously that makes it more difficult to identify
items in the reservoir to match, but is it still actually possible to work
without ISBNs?

Thanks, everyone, for your attention.

Lance
--
     Lance Housley
          Librarian, Franciscan International Study Centre