[Koha] development of MARC functionality

kim at secondhandknowledge.net kim at secondhandknowledge.net
Sun Jun 12 03:56:25 NZST 2005

Hi all, I've been reading your notes about the future development of Koha, and it sounds pretty
exciting.  You've thought of some very nice features to add.

I see that some people's duties are changing, and I'm wondering who are the key people working on
MARC improvements, and if more details about the roadmap for the MARC portions of Koha is posted
somewhere?

Stop me if you know this already, but I think that since the MARC structure has so much
functionality already built into it, why not take advantage of that?  For example, using the
indicators to help with indexing will solve the display sorting problem with titles that start with
"The".  Using the leader/fixed fields for item types, is another example of using fields already
built into the MARC record.

And, of course, the multiple subject headings issue needs to be resolved.

I am stuck in my implementation of Koha because, although there is the ability to assign call
numbers at the item level, the opac display (except for MARC view) is that of the bib level call
number.
Can the opac-detail templates/script be redone so that the info is pulled from the MARC record?
Sorry, I just don't know how to get past this problem; it's the one thing keeping me from going live
with the catalog at our library.

I appreciate all the hard work you all do. I'd like to help, if I can.
I'm a cataloger (is that obvious?) and a solo librarian, I know enough perl to be dangerous (which
is probably not a good thing).

Well, that's my 2 cents. Keep up the great work. I am a big fan of Koha and am doing my part to
spread the good news.

Thanks, Kim Scannell