[Koha] Koha Issues

Simon Oxwell soxwell at gmail.com
Mon May 30 03:56:41 NZST 2005

Hi,

My name is Simon and I've installed Koha 2.2.2b on my Debian Sarge box
to help me keep track of my personal library. I've no need for the
Budget system, so I've switched the 'acquistions' system parameter to
'Simple' and left the 'autobarcode' parameter set to the defualt of
'yes'. I've got the Z39.50 client running, and have populated the
server table with entries for the Library of Congress server and the
British National Library server. I've created a single Item Type of
'Fiction', code 'Fict' so the MARC Check.

I'm also using apache 1.3.33, Perl 5.8.4, recent versions of the perl
libraries and Mysql 4.0.24.

I'm having a few problems with the Acquistions module, which could
just be that I've either not understood or misconfigured something,
but thought I should at least ask about them.

1. At the first Acqustion screen (acqui.simple/addbooks.pl), I enter
an ISBN to search for, which takes me to Biblio Search Results
(acqui.simple/isbnsearch.pl). Obviously, it hasn't found anything, so
I click on 'Add New Biblio', which passes me to a blank Biblio screen
(acqui.simple/addbiblio.pl). I notice that isbn I searched for is
passed to addbiblio.pl on the command line, but the ISBN field (020)
in the Biblio isn't autopopulated. Should it be?

2. I've been playing with the Z39.50 search. The z39.50 daemon logs
tell me that it has found a record that matches my query for ISBN
1857988809 ('Second Variety' by Phillip K. Dick, Uk Edition) in the
British National Library database, but the 'Z3950 Search Results'
pop-up tell me 'Nothing Found'. I've used a few ISBN's that exist in
the Library of Congress database (1857988809 isn't) and they show up
in the Search Results just fine.

24600/14 : Processing isbn=1857988809 at BRITISH NATIONAL LIBRARY
z3950cat.bl.uk:9909 BLAC MARC21 (1 forks)
24600/14 : 2 >>
24600/14 : creating and 24600/14 : working on results entry 20
24600/14 : connected to BRITISH NATIONAL LIBRARY
24600/14 : BRITISH NATIONAL LIBRARY : 1 records found, retrieving them (max 80)
24600/14 : BRITISH NATIONAL LIBRARY : z3950cat.bl.uk:9909 records
retrieved 1 SPEED: 1
24600/14 : z3950cat.bl.uk:9909 search done.

Puzzling. Is there anyway I can see what data is being retrived, but
upping a debug level or something?

3. Once I've completed that Biblio record and set and item type for
it, and clicked on 'Add Biblio', I get taken to the 'New Item' screen.
(acqui.simple/additem.pl).

At this point I can't add the item until I've filled in the 'Barcode'
field, which is apparently mandatory. Now, I've got the system
parameter 'autobarcode' set to 'yes'. Is this field supposed to be
autopopulated with a barcode at this point? Do I need to generate some
barcodes elsewhere in the system in first? What have I done wrong at
this point, or have I misunderstood what 'autobarcode' does?

4. The 'Edit Biblio' and 'Duplicate' buttons on the 'Add Item'
(acqui.simple/additem.pl) screen have urls that don't go anywhere.
They link to /cgi-bin/koha/acqui.simple/acqui.simple/addbiblio.pl
instead of /cgi-bin/koha/acqui.simple/addbiblio.pl

Anyway, I think it's great that Koha exists and there is an open
source alternative for a really good library management system and
that my Koha problems have some really easy answers that I've
overlooked.

Thanks,

Simon