[Koha] Re: Koha Library System Report up for changes

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jul 11 20:51:45 NZST 2005

Ashneil Ameet Singh <a.singh at fsm.ac.fj> wrote:
> I would like to share this report that I have prepared by collecting
> information from the Koha website, FAQ and mailing lists.=20

You sent the attachment in Microsoft Word format, a secret
proprietary format, so it is hard for me to read. If you send
me plain text, HTML, or PDF, then I will read it.

Distributing documents in Word format is bad for you and for
others. You can't be sure what they will look like if someone
views them with a different version of Word; they may not work
at all.

Receiving Word attachments is bad for you because they can carry
viruses (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_virus). Sending
Word attachments is bad for you, because a Word document normally
includes hidden information about the author, enabling those in
the know to pry into the author's activities (maybe yours). Text
that you think you deleted may still be embarrassingly
present. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3154479.stm
for more info.

But above all, sending people Word documents puts pressure
on them to use Microsoft software and helps to deny them any
other choice. In effect, you become a buttress of the Microsoft
monopoly. This pressure is a major obstacle to the broader
adoption of free software. Would you please reconsider the use
of Word format for communication with other people?

To convert the file to HTML using Word is simple. Open the
document, click on File, then Save As, and in the Save As Type
strip box at the bottom of the box, choose HTML Document or
Web Page. Then choose Save. Note that Word changes interface
in inconsistent ways--if you see slightly different menu item
names, please try them.

To convert to plain text is almost the same--instead of HTML
Document, choose Text Only or Text Document as the Save As Type.

Your computer may also have a program to convert to pdf
format. Select File => Print. Scroll through available printers
and select the pdf converter. Click on the Print button and
enter a name for the pdf file when requested. OpenOffice.org
has PDF export built-in.

Can you post it to a website in an open format, please?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
http://gnu.hands.com/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html