[Koha] Question re: NPL OPAC icons & ItemTypes

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Thu Jun 16 12:53:37 NZST 2005

Wednesday, June 15, 2005     19:33 CDT

Hi, Rachel,

Thanks for the answer back. :-)

I must apologise as I realise that the way I expressed myself confused what I was trying to get at: DSA has and would like to have more than the one book ItemType you described.

For example, to date, I have created icons for 8 out of 14 provisional base genre categories for Fiction (as defined locally), and for 18 of the 27 GMDs given in List 2 of AACR2R 1.1.C1.

I realise that this would be silly for libraries like HLT and NPL, which would likely not have/allow many of these materials for borrowing, but school libraries often do (e.g. activity cards, charts, dioramas, filmstrips, flash cards, maps, microscope slides, models, slides, transparencies, and various forms of realia: I had all of these in the Professional collection in the last highschool library I managed). There is also the desire to use Koha for equipment management, which brings in a whole other set of ItemTypes and associated icons.

Obviously, though, I wouldn't want to have so many ItemTypes, as most would end up with the same characteristics, since the things one doesn't want the students to be able to borrow would all have the same borrowing periods for staff.

What I meant to ask Stephen and all the rest of you cognescenti was if it were praticable to leave ItemType as it was but somehow have another MARC (sub)field instruct which icon to display, an IconType if you will, that would allow for a greater variety in icons than Book/Non-Book, Fiction/Non-Fiction as there is some benefit in terms of generating interest in the library gained through jazzing up the OPAC a bit.

And to be fair and properly grateful, I freely acknowledge that I have based the genre icons I have been creating on Stephen's very neat Western, Sci Fi and Mystery exempla. Thanks, Stephen!

Since Chris Jones has moved on to greener pastures and is not currently available, I need some direction as to what part of the code we would need to look at to make this kind of a change.

TIA,

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte