[Koha] Koha Issues - SUTRS - UKMARC-->MARC21

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Mon May 30 10:45:04 NZST 2005

Sunday, May 29, 2005     17:28 CDT

Hi, Stephen, Simon, et al.,

Just a quick response.

SUTRS = Simple Unstructured Text Record Syntax. From what I can gather, it is just one of many approaches to records that come from XML/Dublin Core/FRBR perspectives on cataloguing. Holding my tongue on that and moving on ...

Simon, give a try with the National Library of Canada AMICUS server. You have to sign-up, but it is free and they won't bother you unnecessarily. We have had fair success hitting Oxford and the BL on searches, so hopefully the transatlantic traffic will flow equally well for you viz. time-outs.

You can check AMICUS out at
 URL <http://www.collectionscanada.ca/amicus/006002-400-e.html>
with the link for self-registration to the Registered Service, which allows Z39.50 searching at
 URL <http://amicus.collectionscanada.ca/amicus-bin/self_register?l=0>

Depending on how many records you have to download, Simon, it may work better for you to do the cataloguing properly, from the traditional view, and search for each record individually via AMICUS (LC or other source). With AMICUS you can batch your results for later upload.

As for the British Library not using MARC standards, I don't know where that comes from, Stephen. I can certainly access MARC records that they are generating, although I have tended to do so via Oxford.

Anyway, Simon, you may want to navigate through the Bibliographic Services section of BL -- see
 URL <http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/service.html>
-- to find out more about what the heck is happening. On other pages, BL notes that the change to MARC21 has been shifted to early 2004, which might indicate it is currently underway.

This is what BL says on **their** page at
  URL <http://www.bl.uk/services/bibliographic/marc21paper.html>
regarding the 'current status' of MARC at BL:

"In the autumn of 2000, the British Library undertook a major consultation into the future development and maintenance of the UKMARC format. The outcome revealed a significant majority among UK libraries and information agencies in favour of the adoption of the MARC 21 format in place of UKMARC. As a result, the Library has decided that MARC 21 will be the future standard for data creation and processing of its bibliographic records.

The British Library is planning to switch to MARC 21 in the summer of 2004, when the new Integrated Library System (ILS) is implemented.

During the consultation, a number of concerns were articulated about how the Library would implement MARC 21, and what practical consequences this might have for UK users of MARC. This paper endeavours to answer some of the questions raised, and describes developments up to September 2003.

2. Maintenance of the MARC 21 Format
The "Agreement for the development and publication of the MARC 21 format" was signed on July 8th 2002 by representatives of the Library of Congress, the National Library of Canada and the British Library."

So, I don't think it is correct that BL is using SUTRS, Stephen. It may be that we can't access their catalogue properly for some other reasons.

Anyway, Simon, I hope this helps. Give us a shout if you are still having problems locating good record sources.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte