[Koha] POSIX error in Windows98SE/XP !!!

Dana Huff dana at sefovan.org
Sat Jan 15 00:38:11 NZDT 2005

What?! The install/upgrade script is suppose to work in Windows?  No Way!!

You know, I have to admit, I didn't file an error report because, frankly, I
didn't think it was appropriate. I usually like to ask a question or two in
the lists to see if I've found an error or if it's just my configuration or
some dumb mistake I have made. But, previously when I asked about a page not
displaying correctly in IE, I received replies like, "That's not a bug, it's
a feature!", yuck, yuck, yuck.

Maybe I'm way off base but I would have been very surprised if the
Unix/Linux designed install script could ever work on Windows without a
complete re-write. You first have to install something like Cygwin to make
Windows look like Unix and then you still run into problems with commands
that are not implemented, incompatible file names, etc. I assumed Windows
users were simply expected to wait until a Windows Installer package was
built by someone like Rob Weir.

Okay, sorry for being hyper-critical. I would be glad to assist in debugging
the install script for Windows but I'll have to go back and review the
problems I had. Seriously, there were so many that I gave up on the script
altogether.

Let me know how I can help. I have a test machine that I can dedicate to
this and a small database that is working under 2.0.0.

Thanks,
Dana Huff