[Koha] speed

Joshua Ferraro jmf at kados.org
Mon Jan 10 16:58:16 NZDT 2005

Hi Jared,

The best way to opimize is using the my.cnf file to force mysql to
cache more of your database in memory.  I'm working on a document
entitled "Optimizing Koha" but it's not quite done yet.  Here's a
briefly annotated section of one of my my.cnf files (for a single-proc
server with 2 gigs of RAM running mysql 4.0.19:

#most important setting.  Tried 512
# started at 348 (from the my-huge.cnf)
# careful not to set this too high
key_buffer_size = 768M
max_allowed_packet = 16M
table_cache = 512
sort_buffer_size = 2M
read_buffer_size = 2M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache = 8
query_cache_size = 32M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 2
# default is 32M ... but even with 128M about
# 1/2 tmp_files are Created_tmp_disk_tables
# can't go too high cause it's threaded
tmp_table_size = 128M

Two great references that will form much of the basis for my
document are the mysql manual chapter 7 on optimization:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Optimization.html

and the book "High Performance MySQL" by Jeremy Zawodny and Derek Balling:

http://highperformancemysql.com/

Hope that helps in the meantime.

Joshua