No subject

Thu Nov 17 10:58:26 NZDT 2005

straight-forward. For the information in the following fields, I'd suggest
the following mapping to the 541 field (both indicators blanks; below $ =
subfield delimiter) which you are free to use or not:

      Type ---------> 541 $o Type of Unit
      Accession ----> 541 $e Accession Number (I wasn't clear on what
			      kind of info your library was storing here
			      but assumed it was an accession number
			      of some kind)
      Acq. Year ----> 541 $d Date of Acquisition
      Cost ---------> 541 $h Purchase Price

I realise that the 541 field is normally used for archival materials, but
its usage in that regard is not prescriptive and it seems a shame to waste
a very well-defined field.

I know the issue of the call numbers has been addressed on listserv before.
I've ignored all of the discussion because I need LC numbers and Koha isn't
quite there yet. Hopefully someone else will be able to redirect you to
that info and where and how it should be mapped.

IIRC someone wrote to the listserv a while back about fixing the ISBNs; in
any case, you will need to remove the hyphens in mapping it over to the 020
ISBN field.

Luke, I can also tell you from the small sample provided that there may be
some inconsistencies in your library's catalogue viz. current ISBD
(International Standard Bibliographic Description) and AACR2R
(Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules 2nd Revision - most up-to-date being 2002
revision, 2003 update) standards.

If your library is following different standards, that's fine; you'll just
need to adjust some of the MARC coding and so it helps to know that from
the start. Otherwise, someone will need to go into the records and tweak
them manually (e.g. author's surname is not to be all caps in proper ISBD),
which, depending on your student and or adult library volunteers, is an
excellent little project, in my experience at least.

You should also find out from your librarian before you start which
thesaurus the subject terms are from (I'd guess Sears from what you gave)
as this is also directly coded into the MARC fields (650 indicator 2 gives
thesaurus source: Sears would be 7 $2sears<version no.>
 e.g. 650 _7 $aSpace flight. $2sears19).

Hope this helps, Luke. Do feel free to give me a shout off-listserv if you
want any aid. And please do let us know on listserv how things were done
and went when you're done.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large