[Koha] Barcode quandry

Albert P. Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 24 07:05:04 NZDT 2004

Hi again!

    This is an interesting problem, but one that could be addressed through cataloguing.  While I expect that you would have a main entry for the journal title which would include a statement of the volumes the library holds; for this special circumstance, I would add a catalogue record for the bound volume including the analytical information that you want to bring out. It is in the nature of MARC records that you have the fields of information to bring out additional titles and subjects that you want to highlight. You could have more than one set of such information in the same record.

    It might require you to modify the screen displays in the OPAC so that the information would show up - but that is likely a desirable thing anyway in a special library like yours.  The barcode for this volume would be in the volume record, rather than in the main entry, so the item status would come up and not require an additional search.  In addition, when the user searches on the journal title, the analytical record wouls come up along with the main record entry.

    I think this approach would resolve the problem of seeming to need to have the barcode in more than one record.

    Regards,

    Albert P. Calame
    Librarian at Large
    Library Management Consultant