[Koha] Barcode quandry

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu Dec 23 15:44:23 NZDT 2004

Salve!

My .02 on having Koha accept two same barcodes - bad pie! That's one of
the things I intentionally checked for when I installed. Perhaps there's
a way to do a feature so that folks that don't want barcodes can shut it
off, but I shudder to think at the possible multiple barcode errors that
might haunt me later. I know it will catch multiple borrower ids in its
own comma'd way, and I know that it used to yell at me when I used the
same barcode, which I liked.

As far as what you might be able to do about your branches - talk to
your vendor and consortium about adding initial digits to distinguish
between the branch and the main library. There might be a way to
cleverly do this retrospectively. I know that there was a good old
function key programmed at my old library, and I usually keep the
304540000 part of my barcode in a notepad file for ease of cutting and
pasting. I can't think of any ILS off of the top of my head that
wouldn't have the barcode function also as an identifier.

Brooke @ Hinsdale